Thursday, July 12, 2007

Campanula and the Green Tomato

I almost always begin two projects at once. One that may be more of a challenge, something I've never done before and one that is more mindless. So these are the two I chose. I started them around June 15th.

Here is the Campanula from Knitter's Spring 2007.


Campanula means bell flower which really makes sense because the bell shaped peplum and the leaf shaped lace. I am working this in SWTC Bamboo which is a first for working with Bamboo. It took me awhile to get used to but once I did I am enjoying it. I am still new to doing anything with lace.

I started with the sleeves as my gauge swatch which was a little challenging to get the shaping done while maintaining pattern. Especially since I wasn't used to lace charting, the good thing is it made the back seem easy.

Here is a close up of the sleeve. You can see the pretty bell shape on the sleeve which will look even better after blocking.


My Green Tomato is almost finished but here are some earlier pictures. I had actually started my Tomato before Knitting Daily started featuring it. It was fun to work along with them. My favorite clothing colors are limish green or red but I decided to use Cotton-Ease Lime and Snow thus giving me my Green Tomato.


Here is a close up of my fair-isle section.

I reworked this about 4 times trying to get rid of the squatty stitches and long stitches but the seemed to stay matter which technique I tried. I think if I really manipulate the stranding in the back I will be able to fix most of it. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I should have this finished by the weekend so be sure to check back for updated photo. I am adding white on the bottom, sleeves and neckline which I like better.

This is one of the items I am entering in the State Fair next month. It is being entered in the two or more color sweater class so I am not expecting much for this item. I am sure there will be some really nice intarsia and fair-isle work if it is anything like the last few years. Since this is the first year for me to enter, I just figured I would enter as many classes as I could and see how I do. I signed up for 14 enteries, 12 are knitting and 2 are cross stitch. I am working on getting together pict for a State Fair entry post soon.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I love your Tomato. I'm planning to knit one for myself too, but I need to finish up a bunch of other projects I've already started first.

I'm entering the fair again this year. I'm so excited that I can hardly stand the anticipation.