Friday, July 20, 2007

My Best Loved FO and Campanula and State Fair Update

I wanted to share about my most loved finished object. I knit a lot of gifts, some I know are loved others seem to become missing objects. The missing objects are the ones that I never see again after I gift them. These items may or may not be loved and worn after given ... I will not let myself assume they weren't liked because that would drive me crazy.

Christmas 2005, I knit my then 2 year old nephew a customized elephant sweater. He loves animals and at the time called and elephant an "epafant". Too cute. Anyway, I knew he liked it right away since he not only put it on immediately but would not remove it for several days even to sleep. According to him, he only recieved two gifts that year, one his "epafant" sweater his Aunt Angie made him, the other a bag of various plastic animals. This kid is so crazy about animals when he comes to visit he will get the horse encyclopedia off the shelf to carry it around his entire visit showing people.

Well, he practically lived in the sweater the first and second year but I figured the magic of this gift had worn off. I realized that I was wrong when he came up to me last month at a family get together and told me he wasn't sure where his sweater was. His mom quickly informed him she knew where it was and it was only put away for the summer. His reply was "Good, I'll be needing it!" How cute 4 1/2 year olds are and how glad I am that I made a size four when he was only two. I keep saying no more knit gifts at Christmas but this makes me reconsider although I am not sure I will ever top this gift.


Sorry, the "epafant" is mostly covered.


See the name, this sweater will never become a hand me down.

I hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane.

Campanula and State Fair Update

I am plugging away at the Campanula so far the back, left front and both sleeves are finished. I am about 1/3 done with right front hopefully I will finish with the knitting today and can block it tonight. I really want to finish this for the fair and have to drop off items next weekend. Please send prayers and good thoughts my way.

As for the State Fair, I have gathered all my items and they are on a big heap on my dining room table. Many items had been gifts so I had to borrow them back. Over the next week, I still need to frame 2 items, redo some finishing work, clean and reblock everything and tag for the exhibit. I will be taking pictures as I go and will post pictures of entries by next weekend. This is fun and exciting but quite a bit of work.

Speaking of work, I better stop typing and get to it!

No comments: