Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Finished Green Tomato, Bad LYS and Great News

After almost fininshing this on Friday night, I decided that I didn't like my modifications to the neckline. The striped ribbing took away from the crispness of the rest of the top.
Do you agree?



Well even if you liked it, I ripped and ended up with this.

Here is what I did
Pattern: Tomato from No Sheep for Ewe
Yarn: Cotton Ease Lime and Snow
Needles: KP Options #6 and #7
Blocking: Steamed with Rowenta iron
Modifications: Added 2 rows + BO in White on the bottom, sleeves and neckline. I really like it this way.
If I make it again I will add about 1-2 more inches at the straight part of waist. This was a pretty easy and fun knit which I would consider doing again.

Bad LYS Story
I was really excited to find out there was a new LYS not far from an area I frequent. My DH and I scoped it out Sunday and found out that the hours were not very convenient but with some creativity on my part I could probably make it. It looked nice from the street and I could tell that it was another high end store but I was still excited about going.

Anyway yesterday we were heading swimming and it wasn't too far off course. I also was planning on buying a pair of new Addi Lace needles and 4 metal clasp (frog) for a cardigan I made. Not a huge purchase but I felt like it would be quick with 3 kids and allow me to check out the new store.

Now I do realize that we were not dressed (we were headed to the pool) as nice as that area is but that didn't mean I didn't have real money to spend. I have a nice knitting/ yarn budget of about $200 - $300 a month before DH says anything. Also note the 3 kids with me were excellently behaved never touched anything, stayed right by me and were very quiet.

So we walk in the store, I observe about 8 other customers in the store and 3 people working. My presence was not acknowledged even though I made eye contact with all 3 employees. I was able to find the area for closures and they didn't have clasp so I was going to ask to be sure. About that time a very sweet lady walked up to the worker at the swift and said, "when you get finished with your customer I could use a little help." From across the room the manager/owner bellowed "there are four other people here that need help first and one of them needs to get back to work" The too nice lady apologized and said that she could wait her turn she wasn't in a hurry. The owner/manager barked back and said "see this lady dressed nice for work she is the priority here right now." Thank God I wasn't that sweet customer.

I decided right then and there this would never be a knit stop I would make again no matter how nice of product they carry. So the search for the perfect LYS continues and my internet shopping habit will keep thriving!

We ended up having a great day swimming at Sahms park. Here are a few pictures.

My too cute niece who loved the slides!

My nephew who wore a permanent path from the side of pool to this slide. As I shouted WALK!

The princesses!

The Greatest News Ever
One of my most bestest friends in the world called me Sunday to tell me she is having a baby. Now I know that baby news is good but this is incredible. They have been married for 14 years and trying for at least 12 years. They had been given a zero percent chance of having a baby on their own BUT GOD had a different plan! I am so excited if I could I would knit an entire 5 year wardrobe for this child. But I have it down to some Dale of Norway, Debbie Bliss and a little Zoe Mellor.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Your tomato looks awesome! Did you get pretty much the same gauge with the Cotton-Ease? I want to make it but the yarn it calls for is almost $60 at the cheapest place I found.

I've had bad experiences at the big LYS downtown and I'm not even all that impressed with their selection. There is a great little shop, Sheep Street (http://www.sheepstreet.com/), in Martinsville. It's a bit of a drive but if I'm headed to Edinburg I usually try to make a point of going there too. They are super friendly and carry a lot of the more practical yarn.

Sahm Park has been Lilly's favorite place this summer. I wish we had something as nice in Greenwood.

Bronwyn said...

How exciting for your friend! It's so wonderful when we see wonderful people get just what they deserve in life, and very good too that you can share in the joy with her.

Nice sweater, BTW, and I wouldn't ever shop in such a place either. ugh.

Anonymous said...

Hello Angie - I love your Thrum mittens and am trying to find a kit like the one you used - I have found a pattern but it doesn't have all those lovely loops on the back. Can you send me in the right direction? Many, many thanks! - Carol